Fly Fishing Forum banner

MI here!!!

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I am from the capitol area, Michigan. I first learned to flyfish with my father in Pennsylvania, and I do surprisingly little flyfishing here in the great lakes state (looking to change that though). When I do go here, I typically fish the Rogue river in Rockford. In pennsylvania I frequently fish the Delaware river, which is exceptionally difficult due to how picky the fish there are about flies matching the hatch perfectly. The first fish I caught there entirely on my own was a beautiful 14" rainbow that I hooked on a sulfur emerger that I had tied myself. I was fishing from the shore on the west branch, and I was either 13 or 14. That is my proudest moment in flyfishing. I am now 16 and a senior in high school. In addition to flyfishing I have another expensive hobby, paintball. I also enjoy art, music, and photography. I want to flyfish a lot more than I currently do, so hopefully I will get a chance to do that in the next year or so.

#2 ·
Welcome!

Do youself a favor at hit the Au Sable during the hex hatch in late June/early July. Spinner imitations, as well as hex imitations at night will produce big, BIG browns.

I've caught countless dozens of 20"+ fish out of those waters. Easily the best trout waters in all of MI.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I would very much like to fish the hexagenia hatch but I cannot currently afford a guided float so I would be limited to wading or floating on my own, which I am more comfortable doing on water I know, like the Delaware. However, that is on my list of flyfishing to do's. Is that hatch fishable wading, or would I be better saving for a float rental?

#6 ·
Welcome,

I grew up in the Hazleton, PA area (I left there in 1979 at age 25) and fished the West Branch Delaware and the mainstem from Hancock down to Callicoon a lot. I had many great days fishing hatches for its wild trout and its shad. Some of my best memories are of fishing the Golden Drakes, sulfers, and blue winged olives, along with the huge caddis egg-laying flights on summer evenings. I also had some very memorable nights fishing for large browns on the West Branch.

Since the Delaware and West Branch Delaware are such large rivers and you waded them, I doubt you would find wading most any river difficult.

#7 ·
A senior @ 16? Well done!

"I've caught countless dozens of 20"+ fish out of those waters"

Well we don't normally mess with those dinks :redface: :hihi:

DYEGYEsniper- Plenty of wadeable good water up this way. Theres also other bugs and more elbow room than the crowd pleasers [hex] provide. Its a great D.I.Y. area, toss in the tent W/ enough supplies for a couple days and give it a go. Pretty straight fwd fishing, a Pro is nice but not a neccessity.

#9 ·
flytyer said:
Welcome,

I grew up in the Hazleton, PA area (I left there in 1979 at age 25) and fished the West Branch Delaware and the mainstem from Hancock down to Callicoon a lot. I had many great days fishing hatches for its wild trout and its shad. Some of my best memories are of fishing the Golden Drakes, sulfers, and blue winged olives, along with the huge caddis egg-laying flights on summer evenings. I also had some very memorable nights fishing for large browns on the West Branch.

Since the Delaware and West Branch Delaware are such large rivers and you waded them, I doubt you would find wading most any river difficult.
just realized that that is almost the exact stretch I fish. If you are familiar with cemetery pool, my dad and I pulled a 19" brown that was shaped like a football just above there, near the old eel weir.

#10 ·
A good friend who fished with jointed rapala plugs and I took many browns between 20" and 28" out of there night fishing. My with a large Harvey Night Fly (originated by George Harvey) and he with the gold jointed Rapala. Like I mentioned, I have many found memories of the West Branch from Deposit down to Hancock and of the mainstem from Hancock down to Calicoon. I caught some rather nice pickerel and shad from both too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.