Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - sharkskin
Thread: sharkskin
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If there is such a level tip (most do) I often cut it off and blend a butt section that maintains the energy coming off the loop into the leader. Especially for saltwater lines where I am throwing heavier flies in windy conditions.

This is particularly true with sinking tips, which I build from shooting heads cut in half. The level foot on either end doesn't add any value to riding the fly lower in the column or turnover.

I have to reneg, I use loops sometimes... but nail knotted butt loops with perfection loop in hvy test butts nail knotted to the line. I don't use loops on sink tips because they snag more and break. I don't use loops on flats setups because everything is obvious in those conditions. Once a nail knot became as easy as a loop connection there was no benefit to it.

By tying my own I learned a lot about leader dynamics adapting them to situations. Leader design makes a huge difference in casting, presentation and even landing fish.

One more note - I wonder what % of the cost of a line is in the manufacturing process for the loop? It's a costly process both in fabrication and as this thread implies - service.

I have to share this true story... one day in the wake of the "River Runs Thru It" popularity I was in a high-brow fly shop and a customer came in while I was shopping and scolded the pro staffer for the loop breaking, saying "he lost a day of fishing". I had to shake my head at this guy - imagine not being able to re-attach a leader! I feel bad that FF businesses are suffering as the vogue angler vanishes from our waters after the period of explosive growth, but I am happy that more 'real' practitioners are regaining the ranks.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 01-14-2008 at 11:09 AM.