Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Recommended line - tight creeks, small flies
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galong
Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking, but I've read some other threads on a different forum that proposed a longer rod even for small creeks and that a 7 foot rod would really only be good in a very, very specific situation... I guess like you're suggestion here. I'm a bit baffled, which is not too unusual for me

Maybe I'll see about a shorter rod. Money is important, but having fun is high on my priority list too... and getting my flies stuck in trees doesn't sound very appealing.

You can see a photo of the creek I have in mind at http://thailand-adventure.com/khao-sok-pictures.htm. Scroll down to the "creek leading to Nam Thalu Cave" near the bottom of the page.
Hey Dave. I missed your reply back when you posted it, but I just noticed it now! Thanks for the picture, that makes things very clear. You want a short rod on water that small unless you constantly like to pull your fly out of trees. A 7 foot rod is not a rod for very specific situations, so I don't know what those other people are talking abou. Most 3 weight rods are going to be less than 8 feet long, and a lot of 4 weight rods are also going to be short too.

For background, streams like that are where I started fly fishing and I've logged hundreds of days and thousands of hours on water like that in my 20 years of fly fishing. You could stretch up to an 8 foot rod if you wanted, but if I were you, I'd go with a 3 weight in 7' or 7'6.

Scott