Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Recommended line - tight creeks, small flies
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
If the creeks have heavy cover, then that rod is much too long. Look for a 7 foot rod. Also, with flies that small, that leader may be too heavy. I'd suggest a 5X or 6X leader for flies that size.
Hi Teflon Jones,

Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking, but I've read some other threads on a different forum that proposed a longer rod even for small creeks and that a 7 foot rod would really only be good in a very, very specific situation... I guess like you're suggestion here. I'm a bit baffled, which is not too unusual for me

Maybe I'll see about a shorter rod. Money is important, but having fun is high on my priority list too... and getting my flies stuck in trees doesn't sound very appealing.

You can see a photo of the creek I have in mind at http://thailand-adventure.com/khao-sok-pictures.htm. Scroll down to the "creek leading to Nam Thalu Cave" near the bottom of the page.

I've been a fly fisherman for a very long time, but not seriously... mostly sponge spiders for Bluegill and the odd bass that likes small food. Now that I'm in Thailand and want to catch a wide variety of fish, I see the need to expand my knowledge a good bit more.

Thanks again,
Dave