Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Fish counts for the Gaspe rivers?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Pierre;

No doubt poaching was higher in the Club days then today. Much of it had to do with the absecnce of accessibility for local anglers as well as an accepted part of culture (it was an honor in certain places from what I am told).

It has not gone away any more than poaching of moose and deer have disappeared either. It is not as prevalent but it still exists.

Presuming that poaching is gone the loss of jobs would be unacceptable by local communities. In the case of the Grande, those 2 jobs support 2 families. In Gaspe, there are roughly 18 guardians for the 3 rivers. Even though their hours and weeks were clearly cut back this year due to budgetary constraints, they still support their families through their work. Fact is that poaching still exists, albeit it less than it was 20 years ago, and it will continue and need to be dealt with.

I am not familiar with the road program you are speaking about. However, I can tell you that the 3 zecs I deal with are responsible for the roads and they must budget for grading, maintenance, and repairs of the roads, bridges, and culverts out of their revenue. If you look, for example, at the Zec Gaspe, their revenue in 2006 was around $1,000,000 (including the Pavillion now Taj which did just shy of $400,000 in revenue). Net profit was around $90,000 which means that costs, including salaries, repairs and maintenace, etc amounted to around $900,000. To simply make the fishery free (subisidized by tax dollars) likely will not fly.

I am all for the Catch and Release component though.

Bill Greiner