Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Fish counts for the Gaspe rivers?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Fontinallis:

I do not think anyone is trying to drive people away by posts. I have been accurate in what I have posted relative to runs. They were down (I am talking about York, Dartmouth, St. Jean, Grande, Pabos, Bonaventure, Grand Cas, Petite Cas, Ste Anne, Cap Chat, Madeline) from 2006 and 2005. That is indisputable and unfortunate. At least 1 river manager (you can probably guess who) did not paint that picture, but instead made it seem as though the runs were on time and the same as last year. That is misleading or dishonest depending upon how you want to look at the motive for his statements.

Ann: I did see the numbers for the York in Jean's office (we went over it together) and it took into account the fish above White House. The Dartmouth count was incomplete for sure as they did not count the upper stretches of that river and we know fish do go close to Lake Dartmouth. The St. Jean was not shown to me either, even though it was completed. The pools as far as Murray Brook were counted and the final number was definately lower than last year but I am not comfortable stating it since I did not see it (I heard the final number from a very reliable source). I believe that this number will not be shown to you, me or anyone until the Government publishes it next spring is to not show the public the real count as the zec attempts to fill the Taj Mahal (that ought to be interesting).

Why are the numbers down? No one knows for sure. Maybe it is a cycle like Ann says; maybe it is an issue at sea. It is too widespread (Canada, Europe, etc) to presume it was related to flooding after spawning 5 years ago.

What can be done? The only solution I have is catch and release of all large salmon for a period of 5 years. To many this does not seem unreasonable; to others it may seem like an eternity. AT THE VERY LEAST 1 year of C&R would be the most prudent measure that can be taken but that is very unlikely to happen either. Certain zecs rely too heavily on revenue from anglers looking to kill salmon (that is the sole reason the St. Jean River was opened for killling large salmon-- so they could fill the Taj-- it did not work but salmon were killed by other anglers as a result of that move) and they are unlikely to potentially drive some of that business away, particularly after a poor year like 2007 when runs were down, rod days were down, and revenues were down.

Like Ann, I have to work with what we have and will ultimately find the best water available givenn circumstances. The best solution for all is more fish. It just makes sense to put everything back so that at least our impact as anglers is negligible to a run of salmon.

Bill Greiner