Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Whats up in Ptown?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM

I have been fishing almost daily out at Race Point. The water has become so warm that the only way to get into big bass is to reach the drop off which is beyond casting range (even with spinning gear) but accessable by kayak. Otherwise there are bluefish everywhere. The activity seems to be right after sunrise and at dusk. Night fishing has been very slow. The backside beaches have had a fair amount of mung, but there are pockets of clean water. If you are walking, I would go to Longknook beach in Truro, lots of good holes and structure, particularly to the left, Ballston Beach in Truro to the right or Herring Cove in Provincetown. At Herring Cove there are two good spots. The more accessible is to walk to the far left and down about 300 yards. The potentially better spot, but a longer walk, is to the far right as far as you can go. This is Hatches Harbor a big tidal outflow that attracts some big fish. It is particularly good on the dropping tide. It has been a bit quiet of late. If you go to Herring Cove for late night fishing you should stop at the visitors center to get a free pass which is needed to park after midnight. One other productive place is the mouth of the Pamet River in Truro. Depending upon the wind direction, you can get there from the north at Corn Hill Beach or the south at Fisher Beach. This is about as complete a guide as I can supply. I