Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Two tales- Whales & Tuna, Bay side sippin Stripers
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 AM

Two tales- Whales & Tuna, Bay side sippin Stripers

I spent last week at Cape Cod with my wife celebrating her birthday and our 32nd anniversary. I fished only once because most every time I went there was so many weeds in the water it would have been more trouble then its worth. I did have two great experiences on the water. The first was the one time that I was fishing. I walked out on the Brewster flats Tuesday evening about two hours before dark as the tide bottomed out. I had a great time casting to sipping bass for two hours and having sand eels explode out of the water as I walk along. I had to leave much sooner then I wished because of dark and fog.
The next experience was a non-fishing one. We went on a Whale watch out of P-town and I kept telling my wife that I wanted to see a Tuna. Whales smales I knew that they would be there. It happened about two miles off Race Point the naturalist said, Wow there goes a Tuna. I move to the other side of the ship just in time to see three or four huge Tuna pinning a school of bluefish up against the hull of the ship. Here were twenty inch Bluefish swimming for their lives being chased by six foot long blue-green missiles. We got to see a Tuna take a Blue out of the air right in front of us. If we had been in a 20-foot CC it would have happened at eye level. Someday I have got to fish for these magnificent predators.