Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - WELL???
Thread: WELL???
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2000, 09:49 PM
i'm so outta here

RE:WELL???

Bob,

Back River is an excellent spot. I've fished it mostly at night. The bridges and the immediate surroundings tend to hold the most fish, but they make for a difficult wade. Mid tide to low slack has been the best. I've tried the area you're speaking of near Mako's. Not much luck. Deep water is too far off and bait holding structure too scarce for large schools of bass to move in. I'm not saying it's devoid of fish. I have caught there during sand eel days.

I've found the area just up river of Mako's, near the Electric Ave. beach is much better. All the bait from Buttermilk and Little Bay ends up funneling down to that spot. I caught my first 35+ inch fish on the fly rod here.

Another decent spot to try when in this area is Old Silver Beach (about six miles south on Rt. 28). The estuine river behind the beach is silly fun when the school bass are after silver sides on an outgoing. The beach itself fishes well before Memorial and after Labor Day. Larger fish do make it in there on occasion and can even be caught at night on the fly..... even during peak tanning oil season.

al