Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - A gull, a blue, a striper and a deer
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 AM
LBFF Mojo

A gull, a blue, a striper and a deer

Just a quick report on an interesting night in south county rhode island on friday into saturday.

Stopped by the saltwater edge to pick up my new van staal 200 and off to throw some pencil poppers at sachuest point to get used to the reel. Yeah , yeah not fly fishing but I do enjoy it and with a 4 year old who loves to fish I find myself fishing plugs a decent amount as he does not understand staying out of backcast lanes just yet. Anyway, after hooking a handful of blues I see a gull come screaming by overhead and hit the water. Did not think much of it until my line goes airborne and I am fast to a large gull. Luckily he just picked it up and the hooks did not get deep into him. Get my plug back and decide to move on.

Off to find some fly rod bass and I head over to one of Adrian's (and mine) favorite spots that a bunch of folks fished a few days before with slow reports. Well with the NW wind finally dying down things were on fire and I had the best night I have had this year numbers wise with fish up to 32" on rays' flies. Very good fishing and almost too easy...

With a newish born at home and sleep at a premium I cut out early ~1am to get some sleep. Coming through Jamestown I spot a streaking brown spot to my left and then I am fast into a deer. I end up landing the deer on my hood with a quick release to the side of the road. Lucky for me just some hood damage but the deer did take a couple bullets from the local police force. Now that I think about it I should have got its tail in exchange for my $500 deductible to get my hood replaced....

Anyway it looks like better numbers of fish are starting to come out of the bay which is nice. I do like fishing the home waters of the upper bay but it is nice to be able to spread things out and hit the surf again.

-sean