Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - South Tip Rip Trip
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2000, 09:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

South Tip Rip Trip

OK - we have had a nice passive outing on South Beach and North Monomoy, even did some big surf stuff on the side at Race Point; the spring clave was a kick but...

The South Island rip calls! Once again, the chance to gather as wild-eyed individuals to converge on the wildest part of our region beckons.

Here's a place where giant bass frequent a double haul from the sand. Here's a place where the offshore rips meet the sand, and all manner of gamefish gather to feast in the mixing pot between Nantucket Sound and the atlantic.

It's a dangerous place; the currents are as fierce as any in the open sea; but there are coves and shoals to the northwest; and ocean surf to the northeast for times when the currents are too much on the tip. There is no room to abandon caution, but then there never is.

Commercial fishermen tell tales of cow bass feeding on sand eels a roll cast from the shore; I have seen fish explode bait so close to shore I wanted to be dropped off... but the west and east shores of South Monomoy are equally intriguing to me. Here, the fish have not seen much attention in comparison to the residents on North Monomoy. The shoals to the west have been a hotspot for flats boat guides and their clients. I would imagine there are plenty of fish there for us to tease from shore. On the east, any bowls or shoals should hold fish feeding in the promimity of the tidal inferno to the south.

The concept of being some of the first to fish from shore in this wild place is intriguing enough all by itself.

The fare is $300 for the boat w/ up to 12 people.

John Morin and I are in for certain so far.... WHO WILL JOIN US?