Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - My view...
Thread: My view...
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2000, 11:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:My view...

Holy cow! In no way did what I said in the top of this thread intend to imply anything worthy of the fear and concern shown thru this thread. It almost seems like the first half was ingnored and the second half misinterpreted. This is like the snowflake that falls on the slope and rolls into a giant ball.

<b>I simply meant to say that you will find that I (or others) will say things like "the bait chuckers" and huff and puff about three sets of barbed trebles -or- those nasty umbrella rigs -or- whatever, and I would expect that it would be tolerated here, on this FLYFISHING site... even if it is a bit "elitist". If a member feels that more people should flyfish for the good of schoolies at Plum Island, then that opinion will be tolerated here. If someone says "the way to catch an atlantic salmon is to fish like a man - move the fish to the dry fly" then it will be tolerated here. THAT is what I refer to as playful elitism, not the string of interpretations that ensued.</b>

Please don't confuse other's interpretations with the intent of my message. To be clear, I was just making sure we didn't get so bottled up about it that we couldn't muse as flyfishers often do without people going off in the other direction against it - this being a flyfishing site and all.

I noticed that as this thread progressed people were replying to me as if I had proposed the things that some people feared in their replies. In other words, their words became my words. I assure you, my words and thoughts were totally independent of what people may have embellished.

I am a purist, and proud of it - but not an elitist. There is a big difference...

A purist constrains his own practices to that which he believes in. An eel afficionado is an eel purist, not breaking down to throw poppers or chunks, for instance. A dry fly purist is... well you know.

An elitist tries to constrain other people's practices or looks down upon others who do not prescribe to their point of view. There are such things as elitist circles in flyfishing, I guess. I've never been in one. In fact political correctness is a form of elitism in the guise of tolerance. It is the intolerance of intolerance.

I never suspected I'd create such a reaction with this thread... which only meant to say "anyone can say what they believe, what counts is the friendship, but let's not get so PC as to be intolerant of the common musings of flyfishermen in a flyfishing venue."

I do sincerely hope I have finally expressed my intent well.