Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Vieques, Puerto Rico
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Vieques, Puerto Rico

My wife and I had a wonderful time on the island of Vieques. Most of the beaches we were the only beach goers and only once I saw another person fly fishing (more on that later). We weren't even off the island, when my wife asked me when we can return - this time with our kids; the beaches were super kid safe. My wife mentioned maybe we can go during Christmas vacation - Sounds good to me.

This is where I caught and lost a bonefish. And, it probably the most crowded beach we encountered outside of the town of Esperanza. I am on a turtle grass flat to the back/right of the photo. The flat drops down onto some boat flats halfway between me and where my wife took the photo. Anyway, I saw the fish, fifiteen inches or so come up off the sand onto the grass. The flat has a horseshoe shape to it. The bonefish was hugging the edge of it and took something about half way round. I quickly rolled cast in front of it about twenty feet and it went after it. It is remarkable how fast they are - it almost disapeared. There was a flash of fish where I cast and I stripped striked and we were off. The reel went around about a couple of dozen times and came back to me empty. Oh, well...