Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - SWFF in Maine
Thread: SWFF in Maine
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2000, 10:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:SWFF in Maine

I'll let the Main-iacs speak for themselves, but I spent several months in Bath working on the DDG 51 (database work) and spent some time in Reid State Park and Popham Beach, as well as some of the tidal inlets around Orr's and Bailey's islands. I did well at Popham in August, which fishes like any other sandy area - but the rest of the fishing (as you say gazillion inlets and coves) were hit or miss. When the fish were in a particular inlet or cove there were lots of locals fishing them to help you detect which ones to focus on. Being close to the 24 hour LL Bean store in Freeport helped get info any time too.

The thing I loved about coastal Maine is that it always felt like striper fishing in spring - even in mid-summer because the water is so bright and cool, and it looks kind of like Winnepesaukee with an attitude in those rocky fiords. Fishing bright mackerel patterns in those waters was always a pleasure and there are plenty of big fish in the rocks.

Well, that about taps my knowledge on the topic. I'd sure like to get up there again sometime this season.