Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon hooks

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jamey McLeod 
#1 ·
Just got back form the keys. What are the Grey/Black hooks everybody down there is using for their Tarpon flies?

0/4 on the poon lifetime so far, 1 serious ass kicking hookup that ran me against some cement.

I am hooked...............................

#2 ·
Although there are quite a few possibilities, I believe most of them are using Owner Aki hooks. Other Owner hooks that might be used are the SSW and the Gorilla, but usually they aren't used to tie flies as much as they are used for hooks for tube flies. They are both actually bait hooks, but I use the SSW for my tube fly riggings for sailfish. I think you'll really like the Aki (although you probably won't like the $$$ involved.) It is designed to be a fly hook. Also, Gamakatsu is bringing out their SC17 tarpon hook in March of this year. I've already used it as a tube fly hook and it is superb.

I went 3 for 29 on tarpon my first several years. My percentages went up significantly when I switched from Mustad 34007 hooks to Owner and Gamakatsu when they became available. However, they are still nothing to brag about. Anything even close to 50% is outstanding and most guys would be happy with 20-25%. That's one reason they're such a rush.

#3 ·
I guess I would call it 4 "shots" at Tarpon.

1st one, smaller fish, maybe 30lbs, ran me hard for 30-40 seconds, then went against the bridge I was fishing by. 2nd chance came as I was coming of an anchor, fly broke the water and I heard a "THWOOOP" sound and saw him roll where my fly was, which was quickly followed by an "F" sound from my mouth. The 3rd one I could see under the street light, cast to him, he mouthed it and I freaked and set the hook too early and probably not hard enough. About 10min later he was back, waiting in the eddy off of a good rip going through the channel, I cast, and dropped the line right on his head and he was gone for good. Other than feeding them shrimp by the docks that was all I saw all week.

The Jack Crevalle kept things interesting the first few mornings I was there, all of my Tapon encounters came at night or darn close to it.

I had all of my flies tied on 34007's also.

I will be hiring a guide next time I am down there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.