Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - You've seen this before.....old plug guy,new fly guy.
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 01:56 AM

You've seen this before.....old plug guy,new fly guy.

I've fished the southwest florida coast my whole life.Snook,redfish,(though they're impossible to catch)Tarpon.I've been a plug caster since I was 16.About 4 years ago all of my fishing buddies switched to fly and I'm the last holdout.It's finally time.
I've fished with the same tackle for years.My plug rod is a Berkley Lightening rod with an ambassadeur 5500 that i've had for over 8 years.my spinning rig is a shimano sienna with a carbomax rod that i've had for about a year longer.cmbined I've probabaly spent about 170$ on everything or years of problem free fishing.Other friends have spent tons of money on Calcutta baitcasters,stradic spinners,Fin-nors...none have performed at the same level for as good a price as i have spent on my gear.
I want to start fly fishing (in saltwater) with a 7 or 8 weight outfit with the same economic efficiency that i have applied in the past.I've looked at the Gold cup combo,St. Croix premier combo,and the Redington combo......

What route should i take?