Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Views from the Helm
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sean,

I've read this post with great interest several times and as I mentioned the other night it's not one to solicit the usual glib reply. It invokes a lot of thought and as Alan said, insight.

Although I have been landlocked since moving east I've spend decades fishing from a boat overall mostly on the pacific for salmon and over the last ten for stripers and local species.

Pacific salmon flyfishing is interesting. Tides out there were much stronger than ours, and the fishing required a very diverse range from double-handed ripping for topwater coho to depth charging lines as deep as possible updrift, passing over the sinking line, then stripping up as the boat drifts tight. Chinook salmon love an ascending fly and rowdy coho salmon will smash foam poppers. Line control is key absolutely.

Mostly stripers since, abd another point I'd add to your angle cast on a shallow drift is that fish will follow a drifting boat to take a fly. I prefer the transom if the objective is to catch more fish. There are retrieve techniques and situations where the guy stuck at the motor cleans house.

In strong winds in addition to the good advice about lines is drift technique. The outdrive always creates more drag than the bow, so the bow leads. The guy on fore deck can cast either way with the line over the water. visibility is good, but the downside is the line is along the hull in a flash.

The guy on the transom has a crosswind but the upside is his line is in the water forever. I use a water load to get my line out into the swing lane rather than bring the line over the boat. I prefer the transom when the wind is strong.

Quote:
sets up in a single location and makes a presentation toward roughly the same area time and again with a similar cast
Only the less-educated anglers

As tricky as the boat fishing can get, the coverage give the boat angler ten times the shots to blow. The shore angler's ratio of good casts to total casts must be that much more precise to hook as many fish.

I think they each have their challenges, and the complete anglers learns as much as he or she can.

GREAT thread, and I would love to see the full article in a mag as Al points out.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum