Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Kalama River Report
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2000, 10:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Kalama River Report

Thanks for the update. I guess thinking about all those steelhead finding gravel shoals to make redds up above the Kalama headwaters is somewhat reassuring. I suppose the Toutle and Green are closed in it's upper stretches. BTW - has the Toutle cleared up at all? Amazing how over ten years of glacial flow doesn't clear St.Helens silt from it's waters.

Any time prospecting on the East Fork Lewis? I have done very well statistically below the Daybreak bridge, and up above toward Lucia Falls. I ask because it's on the way home from the Kalama.

I also had a friend who swore by the Coweeman in the upper stretches. It would make sense, but looking at the lower section along I5 would lead one to believe it's all frogwater.

I am committed to fishing with you this fall. I'll be out late August / early September with part of the time in Lower Vancouver Island fishing with Aubert Smith (Smitty) of the Rod Builder's Workshop who is donating his time and expertise to the two-handed rod project (east coast surf fishing).

Keep us informed,
Juro