Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - components- what REALLY matters?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Ok here is what I've found out in building over 7 rods. Pre turned cork handles usually are not that great . I've never sunk the money into the premium turned handles. I like REC reel seats and this last rod I tried I used the Recoil guides.
The best guides out there. They are very light and flex with the rod. Pac Bay and Perfection make nice snake guides.
The stripping guides that I use to use were Fuji. I tried the Pac Bay nitrate coated guides on the latest rod and there was no rust. Sic guides are very good.
Also, I tend to use over sized stripping guides on my saltwater rods.
My reason for building a rod is to put on components that a little better than you get with a production rod. That being said T&T makes some fine looking rods and use very good components. If I had the money I would invest in a mini lathe and turn my own handles but that is really getting into the hobby.
Like most things you get what you pay for so the more expensive the component the better the product. Check out some of the rod building sites on the net and you'll get a sense of the craft.
FishHawk