Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Improvement of Wading Ability
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 04:54 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
Whatever your exercise regime, its important to work with your physician and trainer which sounds like the case. In addition to specific exercises to build lower body strength, a really important area not to neglect is overall "core" conditioning. This is the group of muscles that include the abs, obliques, lower back etc. In terms of balance and overall stability, this group of muscles play in equally important role, maybe even more so than the lower body.

Talk to your trainer about working some core training exercises into the routine. In general exercising the core involves challenging your balance - so the exercises you described in the original (leg raise & balance) post falls into that category. They will really help. Another great one is doing crunches on a swiss ball.

Good luck!
Thanks for your comments Adrian. I've been doing the crunches on a swiss ball for some time now. Three times a week I do 3 sets of 20 reps each. I know a lot of guys do a lot more but I have quite a few exercises I need to get thru in limited time. And just yesterday I read where this exercise is rated as one of the top 3 for abs. I do a complete body workout upper and lower so I'm probably on a good program. It just takes time I suppose.