Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Sitka - end of June
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 AM

Finally getting around to posting results of our trip to Sitka. Seems like it takes a month to catch up for being gone a week! The trip was great! Fly fishing was pretty much a bust - salmon were deeper than deep, and we had 15 to 20 knot winds every day but mooching was a blast. Limits of kings and halibut by early to mid morning, catch & release for a few hours, back to the lodge for a nap, a few cold ones and fresh salmon or halibut hot off the grill to top off each day. Most kings were caught at about 100 feet, and even the handfull of silvers we caught were at 60 feet plus. Kings averaged about 25 lbs, and we purposely targeted "chicken" halibut - preferring table fare over barn doors. Did get some shots at some sockeye that were just starting to stage at a river mouth - a few follows on one of the flies I picked up at the Fly Away Fly Shop, but just wouldn't hit. The folks at the fly shop were great, and they were pleased to hear that their shop was mentioned on an internet forum.

Sitka is a cool place with a facinating history. The town gets a little crazy when the cruise ships are in, but it definely is a place where non-fishing spouses can find plenty to do. The lodge we stayed in was top notch, going out of their way to make our stay everything we wanted it to be. It's not the kind of trip I could afford to do very often, and if I go back I would probably go later in July or in August when the silvers are thick and the rivers offer some salmon possibilities.