Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - My theory on the Monomoy Refuge
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Your prediction is as good as any, and I hope it comes true however if we recall the discussions on Flytalk since 2004 you may recall that the morphology of the beach historically heeds longshore migration north to south, and the notion of a new gap on SB is also likely.

I would guess that when the sand flow away from a thin area exceeds the supply from adjacent bodies to the north a new break will occur. This would cause an infusion of ocean influence on North Monomoy, we'd have to rename the tub. The west common flats would become less deadpan and more unstable and the crib would be a veritable canal as South Monomoy also becomes restless and that plastic body of sand that was the southway would be tossed about (in a geological sense).

I am very excited by that prospect! Although we would lose some of the hinterlands to the lower alpha bouys the higher letters would become a haven for ocean fish and I think fly caught fish would rival those that bait guys boast about.

It would be equal parts surf, rip, flats and estuary all at once.

Come on mother nature, bring it on! Don't tease, shuffle that damn deck and DEAL
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum