Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - North Hood Canal is Healthy!
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM

Steelhead are not doing well in any of the rivers as far as I know. I have seen a few 4 or 5 years ago spawning while walking the Duckabush River but that is it.

The North/Central Hood Canal was 64 degrees this last weekend, not bad for swimming. There is still a lot of green Glacier melt water flowing into the canal in places but that will end soon as the snow is melting fast on the mountain tops.

Divers are seeing more bottom fish than ever before in the North/Centeral part of the canal. It has been 4 years i think since all fishing has been closed due to the false reports of low oxygen through out the entire canal. All the rock fish and the Ling Cod seem to be doing very well and reports of some Ling being huge. The clams and oysters are so thick that we got our 40 clam limit by kneeling down in one spot and never moving an inch. There is not a day we don't see at least 40 Bald eagles and the Osprey are coming back nicely.

As a strong Enviro I see the entire closing of the Canal as a bad thing as reactions to the situation is starting to build by many. We need the Orion Magazine approach to the enviroment and that being work with all factions and come up with a useable plan. I do not know one person who does not support the closeuer of the Canal south of Aycock Rock. Down that way the canal is in poor shape. Aycock Rock would make a great buffer zone and it would allow many folks to use the canal for more recreational endevors. Crab season starts next week and we will see if there will be an extended season.

But for now fly fishing is good for trout and should continue for many years.