Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - What to do?
Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 04:13 PM

What to do?

Hello all,

This is my first post (Hopefully many more to come). I love to fish but am just getting started in fly fishing. I have $200 to spend on a set up. I am from Louisiana and my family has a camp near the Gulf (which made out ok in the storm) so I'll be fishing in saltwater. I 've noticed, after a few days of perusing this site, that ya'll recommend spending the bulk of the money on the Rod, which I plan on doing. I just need some suggestions on a reasonably priced saltwater "proof" reel. Also, what is the difference in the Drag systems, Rim, Disc, Clichk and Pawl?

Line weight question: I'll be fishing in saltwater, mainly for redfish (18"-24"), but I also want to be able to practice closer to home in some freshwater ponds (Crappie, Smallmouth, Largemouth, maybe a bluegill???). I know there are some big differences there, what is the best all around weight and action to get for this variety of situations?

There is a wealth of information available in this forum, and I am sure i will tap into it many more times, thanks (sorry for the long post).

-Brian