Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Eye opening experiences in a boat
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

OC you are ten times the mariner I am but thanks for the vote of conf.

I guess there are no more guesses, so here's the answer...

We had been ripped all the way across Clallam Bay to slip Pt on the other side which is listed as a CG hotspot for rocks, turbulence and whirlpools. Although we could barely see each other on the same boat I could hear the slip pt horn faintly and it seemed to be coming from ten different locations. It dawned on me that we were spinning in a whirlpool.

No one believed me because we could not see any water commotion against the hull. Of course not, it was spinning too.

I went to the bow and formed a scoop with my jacket to hear the horn. I asked to shut down the engine for a minute to hear the horn, got a heading real quick relative to north if possible, and we iterated toward it which in retrospect is not a good idea. Moving away would have been safer but indistinguishable so on we went, me with the jacket over my head waving my arms left and right to keep the boat moving somewhat straight. The horn is situated on the bluff that looms above the most trecherous part of the point, so going toward it was risky - but there was no other reference. Eventually we came to the familiar clang of the bell bouy, so headed west to confirm it - and from there it's due west to the jetty blind as bats by compass.

The whole time the crew was doubtful of every decision, in fact I had to take turns forcing everyone to have faith after we attempted something they suggested that led us nowhere etc. I could have just as easily been wrong but my point is the situation was tenuous at best for all.

There was complete doubt until the rocks and american flag at the end of the jetty appeared thru the dark thick wet soupy fog, except in my mind since I had fished there often and knew the bell bouy well.

In any case, a silva boy scout compass decades old, a dose of luck, and a bit of familiarity with a horn and bouy got us back safely. I got a little more faith from the gang after that. That evening the fishing got red hot in clearing skies and we were none the worse for wear.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum