Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - PI
Thread: PI
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2000, 01:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:PI

PI's been good all-around... but if you get a low tide in the morning or evening definitely hit the stretch from the charter boats to the bar, with emphasis on the deep trench to the right of the docks, the first spit upriver from the bar, and the deeper holes around the bar.

Some nice fish have come from the jetty, although I have never made it down that far this year due to plenty of fish being around! Fish the fly deep and slow. Try to catch a crab if you aren't hitting any fish, take my word for it.

Past years I've pulled some good fish out if the deep hole at the base of the south jetty, and out of the first cove upstream from the jetty (look out for the concrete blocks). I think the beachfront is still a little cold compared to the river so the fish are definitely in the river.

The trend has been that the fish back down at the bottom of the tide to the trench from the basin to the bar. Emphasis on the upper end BTW, not the bar as in past years. The exception was the wild keeper night last wednesday after the lightning storm. During the low, the fish are in that trench thick. Once the tide floods again the fish resume their wanderings around the delta and the fishing is hit or miss.

If you end up fishing the early outgoing, I'd go to Salisbury and fish deep and slow in the seams forming off the pick, jetties and rock formations from the boat launch to the north jetty. Stop and throw a fly off the grass bank just down from the boat launch, sometimes there are nice fish dropping from the creek or just feeding at that spot. The mussel bars above the jetties compresses the current and holds fish often too.

I am unable to get out there tonight but let me know when you are going again.

Juro