Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Costs for building vs buying
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 06:06 PM

I started building my own rods about four years ago. Not to be long winded but I met an older gentleman up in Pulaski while fishing for Steelhead we were fishing the same run got to talking and hit it off. In the end he sent me his home made spline finder and I have been building ever since.

It really isn't that hard although my first rod it's the prettiest thing to look at I've gotten to the point that I think my wraps look as good as the manufactured products. I belive you can save quite a bit of money if you take your time looking for a supplier and you don't need the absolute "newest" thing on the market. And there is nothing like catching a beutiful fish on a rod you built. I think it really adds to the pleasure of fishing. As of now I have a quality 2, 4,5,6,7 and a 9 and find occasions to use them all. I know I could never afford that many if I wasn't buliding.

If I could only machine my own reels mmmm

By the way the tip on epoxy is right on, I heat mine by just placing it under a lamp for a while and use a "lite" formula multi thin applications work best. If you private message me w' your email address I'll send you some sources.