Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Clear Cutting
Thread: Clear Cutting
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 02:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feiger
definitions are everything. A clearcut in the north cascades steep topography Douglas fir country is not likely the same thing as a clearcut in the rolling hills of west Pennsylvania or New York, or Michigan, for that matter.
Absolutely true. In steep topography they really ruin the streams because water brings a lot of silt material down the sides of the hills into the streams. When the trees were in place, the water would soak into the soil because there were lots of barriers keeping it from flowing downhill, and lots of roots to hold the soil in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome
I recall an auto trip years ago where we were driving from California to Portland OR. Along the way we could see where the sides and tops of small mountains had been totally denuded thru clear cutting. For the life of me, I can't see how that kind of activity benefitted anything other than the logging interests.
If you've never flown over this area then you can't even imagine how bad it really is. It's really unbelievable. I'd say about 50% or more of the land has been clearcut in patches all over the place. It ends up looking like a checkerboard.