Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Doin' the carb thing
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Fly chucker

It's great to hear about the positive progress that some people are making in this area.

I have never had any issues with carrying too much weight; in fact, I've been on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm 6'6" tall and weigh 195 pounds. All during my teenage years my coaches were trying to beef me up with weight work and diet changes, but in hindsight you really can't fight genetics. My metablolism is quite high, and in my growing years my doctor demanded that I eat four meals a day or else suffer the consequences (fatigue, anemia, vitamin deficiencies, etc.).

I'm now 35 and in the best shape of my life. I attribute much of this to my martial arts training over the past fifteen years, but I also have to give partial credit to changes in my diet. Two years ago I suffered a cluster of migraine headaches the likes of which I had never experienced. In addition to being put on a preventative medication, I dropped as much crap from my diet as possible. I eliminated soda (have you ever taken a good look at a soda can label, even if it's diet? ), candy, and other types of food and drink that are more synthetic than natural. I eat large portions at meals, and eat a large variety of the foods outlined in the pyramid. At this point in my life, I'd rather eat an apple than a cookie.

I'm a very active person, and I want to stay that way for a very long time. I have noticed a difference in my energy level the past few years since I made those diet changes, and it's afforded me the opportunity to keep my performance and expectations high, whether it's teaching and training fifteen hours a week at the kung fu school or doing a death march on a Cape beach.