Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Echo vs. TFO
Thread: Echo vs. TFO
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Jberger41

Echo vs. TFO

Hello,
I am a beginner fly fisherman. Last year I purchased a cheap BPS Hobbs Creek outfit for $96 to see if fly fishing was something that I would enjoy. It didn't take me long to figure out that I did enjoy it very much. The rod that I bought was a 8'6" 5wt for trout in MO lakes and streams. I am now in the market for a 3 and a 7 weight to help round out my collection. I would like to get something significantly higher quality than my BPS 5wt but could use a little guidance, and at 23 years old, I don't have that much of a budget. So far, after doing some research, I have narrowed my choices to the Temple Fork Pro series and the Echo classic. I like the reputation of TFO but have also heard good things about Echo rods. Does anyone have any suggestions or anything that I should know about either company? I know they both have a lifetime warranty which is huge for me since I won't be able to afford another rod anytime soon. Any suggestions on other rods I should consider would of course be welcome.
Also, I will be in Alaska this May and hope to do quite a bit of fishing while I am there. Will my future 7wt be enough to handle that trip? The 3wt I am looking at would be just for playing with panfish. Is a 3 the appropriate choice? Any input would be helpful. Thank you very much!!!

P.S Has anyone ever used an Albright Rod? They are in my price range but I haven't read anything about them.

Last edited by jberger41; 01-25-2006 at 07:48 PM.