Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Quebec's New ZEC Preseason Draw Specs
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Juro, the controlled sectors cover quite a bit of the water in the main rivers in the provence, especially in Gaspe proper. The Matapedia is the only river I've fished that has a very large sequential public sector and my understanding is that it can become a free-for-all after June. I've found many pools occupied after the 15th. There still are a lot of salmon killed after C&R, I think that does politicize the issue more for the longer open season. My early season experience is that we all get along and there is enough water on the peninsula for everybody. Whether they hold fish or not is the question.

Needless to say it's a powerful issue for the Quebecers and as you can see there are more than two sides to it. The residents want [reasonable] access to fish their own water and the outfitters want to bring in business. It's a tough call and I don't envy the Quebec Government their jobs on this one.

While I'm on the soapbox, and there's talk of controlling access to fish, what about controlling the numbers of fish that can enter the river. I love early June on the Matapedia, but when the nets go out the run [obviously] stops until they come out. Anyone checking tonage or numbers harvested? Or am I just talkin' crack again?

BTW - I'm actually surprised to hear the Patapedia is open to non-residents. I thought that was residents only. Have to look into that. And Glen Emma is only %5 non-resident? I find that hard to believe, documented though it is.

-Chris