Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Merkin
Thread: Merkin
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcdermott
Roskess,

I see your point on the digging issue. I think we are saying the same thing. I should have said that they come to rest on the bottom and remain motionless as their cover. I didn't mean to imply that they were actively burrowing like a dog searching for a bone!

Sean
This makes sense and I don't recall crabs burrowing in the Bahamas either... I have observed other behaviors that are what I am putting into a new crab design this winter TBD.

However the calico here in striper country is a master at vertical descent and I am convinced when watching big stripers stop, focus and tail that this noise is a big part of the signal for stripers to go for it. However the lady crabs dig so fast I think it's a showdown and either party can come out the winner in this showdown.

Our sand is much more plastic than most coral hardpack, although the muck in tropical flats is something else and gives lots of cover to those who take it (sting rays, etc). Many organisms inhabit the habitat provided by the soft sediments where not the coral hardpack, some with ant lion like traps between mounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	northend.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	5259  
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum