Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - May/June Striper Spots in NE
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2000, 04:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:May/June Striper Spots in NE

Hi John-

I focus on herring runs for big fish, but enjoy the spunky spring schoolies on light gear too. The situation I'm referring to is the pods of migrating fish that congregate around any run, so there isn't any one spot although there are a few good shore spots I'd be glad to show any Forum member in person. I assume they are migrating fish because they are often "racers".

One general area (herring notwithstanding) I love is the whole stretch from Nobska to Hardings on Nantucket Sound. That whole easy fishin' stretch gets raided by bass and blues (particularly in June) in the spring, then once again in the fall. It's a matter of location as you know, one day they'll tear Dowses to shreads and the next they'll be up in Hyannisport.

Last May they were all over the bayside by mid-month, and the days I spent on the southside in June would have been better spent on the bay in retrospect. Our first outing on the flats met up with pink-lipped keeper bass scrounging sand eels from the flat, and my second cast on the bayside last year put a 30" onto film. Wasn't huge but it was a great start. Got a 38" from shore at the same place before the water warmed up, (sand eel pattern).

Talkin' Spring already! It's got me all pumped up.