Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - New world record rainbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 PM

update

Just for the record,

the current world record fish id an Alaskan fish - 42 lbs, 1970
the current Canadian record fish is a BC fish - 35.12 lbs, 1976
the current Ontario record fish - 29.12 lbs

I edited the title of the original post to be correct.

These are some interesting quotes from the Manitoulin Expositor:

Anglers Bruce and Joanne Vendramin, of Sudbury, knew they'd hooked onto something special last Wednesday afternoon while downrigging with six-pound test line and a 300 AC Shiner lure near Fisher Harbour.

"We played it for about 10 minutes, and finally it got tired and floated to the surface."

"We picked it up in the net, and it broke right through the bottom," said Ms. Vendramin. Fortunately, at that point the couple had the net positioned over the boat, so the behemoth "just slipped through to the front of the boat," she said.

It was caught on a six foot spinning rod and six pound test line. Some people report that the escapees hang out around the cage for the free food that drifts away.

Curt:

While it is true that alot of hatchery fish have been stocked in the Great Lakes, early plantings included both hatchery and wild fish:

Cambell's Creek and McCloud strains from California 1876
Klamath River in Oregon
Brown trout from Loch Leven and Germany - also in 1800's
plus alot of other stuff in between now and then

Some rivers that haven't been tampered with too much are rumored to still contain certain strains from that time period. I think the correct term for these would be "naturalized" fish. If you took a wild strain from California or Scotland and put it in a different environment it would continue to evolve in order to best suit that environment. Genetic selection is allowing them to adapt to different spawning opportunities. And don't all lake bound rainbows migrate up rivers to spawn? Any that I've seen that don't have this opportunity get "egg-bound" like in the Cariboo lakes of BC. This is where 2 or even 3 sets of eggs are in the belly cavity, the fresh ones still inside the ovaries and the rotten ones floating around. Interesting research on migratory brook trout in Lake Superior has shown that some go to the lake and some stay in the stream. So two sibling brookies could have a vast size potential and lifestyle difference. But I'll certainly agree that that fat thing is not a trophy fish. In another picture of the fish, it's dorsal is deformed, but healing. I'll try to post it.