Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Book Review: The Cast, Ed Jaworski
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Book Review: The Cast, Ed Jaworski

The Cast
Ed Jaworski, Foreward by Lefty Kreh
1992 Stackpole Books

I found this book to be a very thorough reference for single-hand casting and really enjoy Ed's no-nonsense phrasing of casting nuances. It is full of photos and useful diagrams that deliver on the concepts we care about when it comes to fly casting.

Since it's my goal to test for my FFF masters cert. as soon as I am ready, I have been absorbing the works of the masters as much as possible and find this book and Ed's work in general to be a potent yet refreshing no-nonsense reference similar to the style of his freind and mentor Lefty Kreh (whose influence goes without saying in this industry).

One particular thing I like about his persona is that he is quick to debunk myths and high-brow opinions, choosing instead to call 'em like he sees 'em much like a good umpire at a world series game, you know the kind that neither team can be mad at for his fairness and accuracy.

In the end it's practice that puts things into our arsenals on the water, but this foundation of concepts, photo sequences and inside skinny really lays down a good foundation for students of the cast.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum