Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - I KNOW Nothing!
Thread: I KNOW Nothing!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Pullin' Thread

tomy2,

Although I live in Washington State, I grew up in the Hazleton, PA area leaving there in 1978 at age 25 and my father still lives there and a brother lives in Kutztown. I mentioned this to let you know how I know the streams and rivers in the area.

Unless you are planning on fishing the Lehigh or the Upper Delaware near Hancock, NY, or the very small, brush lined creeks like Pohopoco above Beltsville Dam, you will be very well served by a rod of 8' in length for a 5 wt line. A 9' 5 or 6 wt would be better for the Lehigh or Upper Delaware and a 7'4 wt would be better for the really small, brushed lined streams; but for streams like the Little Lehigh, Pohopoco Creek, Lizzard Creek, etc. the 8' 5 wt is ideal.

There are many good casting rod, line, reel combinations available in this length and line wt. Ct. Crox, Redington, Echo, TFO, Loomis, and Lamiglas all come readily to mind as rod manufacturers producing such rods.

I know there are fly shops in your area that carry them, including the new Cabella's over in Hamburg. I'd recommend you go to one of the local fly shops rather than Cabella's though because the small, owner operated shops will want your repeat business and as such will be more than happy to get you started on the right foot.