Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Just Joined!
Thread: Just Joined!
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Fishhead,

I'm new to the board too, but your metioning of gar got me all key'd up. Target them with a fly, you won't be sorry. wire bite tippet and a rope fly. Rope fly: Tie a 6-8" braided nylon rope on to your 3/0 hook behind the eye and cut the cut at the top of the bend so its just the shank. Attach holo-eyes and epoxy over eyes. Brush out nylon and your ready. Use strong rod(7-9wt.) and cast to gulping fish or where you think they are hanging out and when they hit strip strike. Hang on!!!!! Really good fun! Here is a an excerpt from my friends fishing report in July, who got them in Lake Champlain.. .(I was so jealous).

"...The water was murky but I saw them! GAR!!! Made a few casts with a rope fly and next thing I know I've got a BIG gar on the line! Wow! Kind of scary landing a monster gar for the first time. The bill was about 10" long or better. Grabbed around it with the glove and went to measure it when the gar shook and I dropped it as the beak whacked my chest! Glad I had a shirt on! ;-) 45" of gar fury!

The next bohemoth jumped about 2' to 3' out of the water 3 times! Unreal. 44". This lake was just LOADED with HUGE GAR! The biggest fish I see in other bodies of water were AVERAGE over here! I worked up the shoreline and my jaw dropped as I saw probably 100 gar - ALL WERE 40" to 50" or better! I caught 5 or 6 more then things finally slowed up around 4 pm. I found them again and hooked a monster that ran and ran! Eventually I got it in. 48" long and probably 12lbs. Not far away from the State record! I tried flagging down a boat to get a picture with no luck. Then I remembered that they are gar and can breathe air. So I motored to the nearest launch and found a couple people to snap some shots. I can't wait to get them developed! Anyways, I'll be back on this lake as soon as I can....UNREAL GAR ACTION!!! BTW, no one else was fishing for them. Gee, that's too bad ;-)...."

Good luck,

Shahab

Last edited by Glenora Ghillie; 09-07-2005 at 05:17 PM.