Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Trophy Salamon in Russia-Kola ?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

The Kista river flows into the Kola at a large junction type pool that I fished- it is one of the best pools on the Kola river. the Kista had a white water kyack tournement the week I was there to let you know the type of rapids that the salmon must get through at the mouth of the Kista ( which is why the salmon wait at the junction pool for a bit). The Kista has a pretty good run itself based on what I could pick up from the guides.

A mention of spey casting vs overhead casting was brought up also. A fair amount of the fishing was from small rubber boats that I would do a spey cast initially to get the fly out of the water ( large 2 inch brass tubes with heavy sink tip or sinking line) and in position, then I would do an overhead cast for distance. Some fishermen did all spey casting. On the beats you could wade I did mostly spey, but you could overhead, again once you got you fly/line out of the water.

I included a pic of the boat. This was pretty bad, my boat had 47 holes in it that had been patched. If you fly hit the boat, you had to paddle to the shore and immediately patch it ( My fly never hit the boat luckily). This is just another bit of excitement for your Russian fishing dollar.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat hell.JPG 2.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	4971