Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Trophy Salamon in Russia-Kola ?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Kola river is not wilderness fishing, it being close to Murmansk, literally a 2 hour drive. It is also a river with many small depressed villages along the course of the fishable sections. There was many areas that had trash and discarded items along the river, other areas had more remote location. All the beats were accessable by trucks, no helicopters. This does not mean that we did not have some engine trouble along the way. The main fishing lodge has several ways you can book, depending on the week. I booked through angling club Lax-a, an icelandic company run by Arni Balderson. I have fished with him in iceland(EXCELLENT fishing but another story), and so I went through his outfit. I think you can go diectly to the Kola lodge but it may not take care of everything. Either way the lodge is new with pretty good food and service. They have built new cabins and facilities and being close to civilazation has some other advantages if you like Murmansk night life ( not me). Either way, I've already booked next year for the second week of june, and will spend 2 weeks total time, another week on a different river. No question that the Kola river has BIG FISH!

Tight lines,

Jim Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depressed village 2.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	4967   Click image for larger version

Name:	typical rapids 2.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	4968