Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Should we rebuild New Oreans?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM

Lots of interesting ideas here.

The Dutch angle is a good one -- maybe the historical portion of the City, the part that is an national park (Jackson Square, the Cathedral, the French Quarter, Preservation Hall) could be restored and rebuilt. I understand that these areas suffered less damage than other portions of the City anyway. A modern system of dikes and levees could keep the water out in event of future hurricanes. Public transportation serving the historic district could be added.

The rest of the City -- Superdome et alia; residential areas; Garden District -- could be assessed on a building by building/block by block/neighborhood by neighborhood basis. What's worth rebuilding, by some criterion, could be rebuilt in situ. The rest of the growth and rebuilding could occur out toward the airport, I guess.

The bottom line is, if there is to be a Nawlens where it once was, there needs to be a massive and modern system of dikes and levess built to withstand the many severe hurricances and rising sea levels we will see in the future.

Nawlens is a spirit -- in music, in the sheer joy of living, in style, in architecture, in cusine, in specialness in our country -- it's without peer. I cannot imagine a United States without Basin Street or Bourbon Street, or Mardi Gras.

Let the good times roll (Laissez les bons temps roulez) again!

Rex Steelhead

Last edited by Eric; 09-01-2005 at 08:14 PM. Reason: syntax