Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Should we rebuild New Oreans?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Lots of interesting ideas here.

The Dutch angle is a good one -- maybe the historical portion of the City, the part that is an national park (Jackson Square, the Cathedral, the French Quarter, Preservation Hall) could be restored and rebuilt. I understand that these areas suffered less damage than other portions of the City anyway. A modern system of dikes and levees could keep the water out in event of future hurricanes. Public transportation serving the historic district could be added.

The rest of the City -- Superdome et alia; residential areas; Garden District -- could be assessed on a building by building/block by block/neighborhood by neighborhood basis. What's worth rebuilding, by some criterion, could be rebuilt in situ. The rest of the growth and rebuilding could occur out toward the airport, I guess.

The bottom line is, if there is to be a Nawlens where it once was, there needs to be a massive and modern system of dikes and levess built to withstand the many severe hurricances and rising sea levels we will see in the future.

Nawlens is a spirit -- in music, in the sheer joy of living, in style, in architecture, in cusine, in specialness in our country -- it's without peer. I cannot imagine a United States without Basin Street or Bourbon Street, or Mardi Gras.

Let the good times roll (Laissez les bons temps roulez) again!

Rex Steelhead
Join the Palindromes for Dyslexics Society Today

Last edited by Eric; 09-01-2005 at 09:14 PM. Reason: syntax