Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Coolest Gadget Contest (no hyperlinks)
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That will work.

I'd have to say my "Dick Tracy toy" is the new Garmin submersible / arm mount GPS. I have a handheld as well, but this one makes it easy to do other things like walk and fish with reading the screen as simple as checking time on a wristwatch.

There are two models, one takes regular batteries and the other is rechargable builtin. I ended up with the rechargeable based on availability, but it lasts a long time and I have not have trouble with battery life. One disadvantage is for poor planners, running out in the field means no quick battery swap for the built-in.

It does not have mapping and is a fairly simple but waas enabled highly accurate unit and more than fits the bill for flats fishing, basic boat navigation, or bushwacking.

I like this GPS - but it would be even nicer if it had the tide, moon, pressure etc...

Some of my other favorite gadgets are very simple, like a doll needle for a nail knot tool. I will post some pics of this very easy to use gadget that keeps well in any foam flybox.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum