Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - El Cheap Start-up Help, please
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAtHeart
Bought a $20 fly fishing combo today (by Crystal River....I know all you pros are absolutely cringing, now that I've read most of the threads under this heading, LOL), a pack of 10 flies (no clue what kind) for $3, and we caught some fish!!!!!!
Welcome to Fly Flishing. Don't worry, a $20 outfit will catch just as many fish as a $800 one will. It's just more plesant to use the $800 one.

Fly Fishing is a bit of an elitist sport. Some people will look down on your Walmart outfit, but I say the heck with 'em. Go fishing and have fun.

Quote:
So, the rod/reel is OK for what we want, but the leader, at a minimum has to go, it was snapping right and left
You need to learn to let the fish take some line. Play him on the reel and when he runs let him pull line off the reel. Then reel him in. The leader is snapping because you are muscling him. There are folks who catch big fish on fine, lightweight leaders.

Quote:
1) I read a recommendation a FF site to use DT line, but I see you all seem to prefer WF, which is great, because that's all Walmart carries. Obviously I need 6 or 7w, and I'm pretty sure I want floating line. Seems SA or Cortland is the preferred? Do either of them have a better line for total blonde newbies?
There are a good number of folks who think the Walmart SA line is just fine. Cortland lines are fine. I think Walmart even sells an Orvis line. If the line you are using is working for you then use it and don't worry.

I'm a big fan of RIO lines, but you'll have to go to a Fly shop to get one, and a RIO line will set you back close to $65-$70.

Quote:
2) What is backing? Do I need it? I went to Walmart and I saw it, but my little kit didn't come with it, so I'm not sure I understand it's purpose. My casts today were about 40' give or take, so if I use the backing, how many feet of line do I want to use?
Backing is a thinner braded line the you put on the reel before putting on the line. You only need it if you hook a REALLY big fish and it runs and pulls all the fly line off your reel.

Quote:
3) What's the best way to go for a newbie? Leader with taper (which is what kept snapping today) or using a tippet? If tippet is the best route, how do I go from line to tippet? (Is there a "Total Idiots Guide to setting up a fly rod somewhere???) If tapered leader is the way to go (and I prefer the easier route, if it works about the same), please recommend the brand and give me specifics on what I should get?
Tippet is just the thin end of the leader. You are talking about the same thing. As you use more of the leader either to breaking a fly off or it just getting used up in knots to hold a fly you can replace the end of the leader with a new piece of "tippet" (Thin piece of monofilament.) I'm going to suggest a book below that should help you with knots to replace the tippet.

Quote:
4) What is loop to loop?
It's a way of attaching a leader to fly line. You tie a loop at the end of your fly line and the thick end of the leader. Put the loop end of the fly line through the loop in the leader then put the thin end of the leader through the fly line loop. The loops in the two lines will interlock and hold the two lines together.

Quote:
5) Is an egg pattern a fly? If it is, can someone either show me a picture of one, or direct me to a site that shows them?
The is debatable. It's just a round pink ball like a fish egg. They work a little too well. There are a lot of Fly Fisherman who don't consider them fair and won't fish with them

Quote:
6) Are flies pretty much created equally? Walmart has a 55pc fly set for like $10, will those work as well as the 2/$2 ones?
Not really. They are tied on cheap hooks that will break easily or straighten out and they use cheap materials. The Walmart flies will fall apart pretty quickly. In some cases while you are casting them and before a fish gets a chance to try and eat it. Any fly will fall apart after enough fish have eaten chomped on them. The $2 fly will last longer. Every sport has an item that is a consumable. For golf, it is golf balls, for fly fishing, it's flys. At some point you will start tying your own. (And have a heart attack when you see how expensive some of the materials are.)

Get a copy of "The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide" by Tom Rosenbauer. It's a guide for novices, and covers just about any question you might have. There are a ton of them used over at amazon.com, where you can get if for about $6.50 plus shipping. Once you have finished this book, try some of the other Orvis guides. There are a ton of them, and they all seem pretty good. (My wife got me the "Fly Tying Guide" for farther's day. Even though I've been tying for a long time, I learned a few new techniques, and really enjoyed the book.)

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.