Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Salmon Hook Types?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Just got back from fishing the Kola river June 4-10th, and the water was very high but dropped 6 inches a day, finally allowing some good fishing the last 3 days. I caught 4 fish and lost 3 more( all fish 25-30 pounds).

I have not fished in the summer over there, is it pretty productive?

I use bombers a lot, depending on how I want them to look, with a variety of dry fly hooks :

Mustad streamer hooks 6x long 3665A or 9575, Orvis 4x long 8088 or Tiemco 6x long 300, or WW Doak's bronze long shank hooks are pretty good. I have also tied them on long shank low water hooks. I don't think it makes too much difference as long as you get them to look the way you want.

I also have a theory as to why a salmon will look at these when nothing on the river is so big. When the fish is young, many of the flies are quite large in relation to the size of the young fish, so when they go back to the river, they remeber large flies in relation to the size of themselves. It is like going back to you grade school desk, it is so tiny but when you were young it was large. A desk would have to be huge to be the same relative size.

This sort of magical thinking is what makes salmon fishing fun, everyone has a theory or idea, and no one will ever know if it is true.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y.

Next up for me is the lower section of the Petite Cascapedia in July
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24 pounder KOLA.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	4820