Sorry about the abscence from the forum board but too many logins to keep track of these days. Anyway, the Cephalopod Project (of for those whose Latin is too rusty, the Calamari Caper) is well along. Friday during the Marlboro show I show I was able to show Bob D. the beginnings of the pattern evolution. There were some great tyers manning the tying booths and Chris from E-Z Body was also there to discuss the pattern he has developed. I took some of these ideas back home and Sunday caught up with Juro. BTW, If you've ever seen the fly he's posted a picture of in the introduction to this thread, you'll agree that the photo doesn't do it justice.
My best results so far are with a polarhair body fly, built over a 1/2" corsair spreader and core that goes back to the hook point. Eyes get 'gooped' to the corsair and the polarhair floats over the corsair. Soem flex-lok does a great job of keeping the polarhair in manageable shape and I've tried finishing the head with either a palmered hackle, flaired polarhair and zonker. They all look like they have their good and bad points.
The hackles are built around a core of bucktail and crystal flash to give them some 'diameter'. Keep them short with two extending out 1-1/2 time as long as the other 6.
Colors tried so far, all white, pink/white, orange, orange/white (want to try a red-rust and orange as soon as I can find the right colors)
Guys, there are lots of great ideas out there. If you like to tie, try some ideas out and we'll share them here. I'll be working on some photos to post and we'll get some feedback about where we can go from here.