Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Can't Take It Anymore - What did I miss at the Monomoy Clave
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2000, 09:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Can't Take It Anymore - What did I miss at the Monomoy Clave

Most of us are sawing wood to recharge the badly overdrained batteries before work... needless to say it was a crazed hardcore session if ever I have done so.

Short version:

The wind was blowing 30+ out of the west southwest "in your face"... it was just as much work as fishing. Nevertheless, John got a 35", Chuck landed a 34", Roop a 28-29"... all on flies at South Beach flat near the edge or trenches. Pretty much every one was getting into the action one way or another. I hooked into three fish at or over 28", although the best one (approx 30-32") spit it we did get a photo of the fish about to be fondled before it spit and ran. The above was a "just under" striper that was my last cast fish before heading back on Rip Ryder. Bluefish and a few schoolies were around and pretty much everyone was getting into the action.

Gotta love it where there are more big fish than schoolies, saw several cruising over the flats; many times more than that busting on bait just off the edge of the flat. Best luck was had working the edge of the flat near the drop offs.

Also spent time fishing adjacent estuaries near Monomoy, literally dropping our forks and running to the water. Racoons, skunks, squirrels, they all loved our site!

I am so tired my nose is almost on the screen - look for a FULL report article / photo journal in the days to come.

My most sincere thanks to all who made this yet another kickass clave!

Juro

BTW - the Sunday crowd left on the shuttle as I headed home to tend to family affairs. I can't wait to read their reports too. Great croud to camp and fish with! (Gorgeous site as well)