Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - C&R Brochure Ideas
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2000, 07:43 PM

RE:C&R Brochure Ideas

Guys,

How about the title "Treat hookers with respect", or something along those lines . Seriously though - this is a great idea - fostering proper handling techniqes is needed among all anglers no matter what the method of capture.

A few suggestions:

<li>Keep the fish in the water if possible

<li>Do not throw the fish back into the water, and do not throw the fish off jetties, bridges, etc.

<li>If you plan on keeping a fish - please mark off the minimum length on your rod (rubber band/nail polish, etc.) - avoiding the search for a tape and keeping the fish out of the water, or in the sand for prolonged period of time.

<li>If you plan on releasing the fish but want a picture first - please have the camera ready, or better yet have a friend get the camera ready, again limiting the handling time

<li>Try to determine where you will land the fish - before you actually catch one. Often locations do not provide easy landing locations (i.e., jetties), plan ahead and you will have a greater chance of landing the fish and minimize potential stress to the fish

<li>Throw your Boga Grips away -okay this is just my pet peeve and I realize many of you like them - I just think it promotes bad handling practices - out of the water, weigh every fish, let it hang with all the forces of gravity acting on it (BTW - check out the LL Bean FF catalog and read their product description that goes along with the Boga)

Just got back from the Cape over on the Buzzard Bay side. Landed the first one of the year - small 18". My buddy forgot his reels at home - so you might guess what happened. He put on his Ross Gunnisson trout reel and took off some of his backing - loaded my 9wt intermediate on his ten weight and proceeded to hook a keeper+ bass. He was yelling at me and I thought he was pointing to a fish in the water - turned out he needed some assistance as his line was all the way out and he had about 20yds of backing left. He did turn the fish and it made another little run. He finally got to the line and got the fish all the way to where he had the leader in the tip top and the fish turned and the hook popped out. It was a good fish, we were both pretty excited about it and had a good laugh at him asking me to cut my fly off - as we might need to tie my leader to his backing to continue the fight. We managed to see about 8 stripers total, and about 1/2 dozen schools of bait going by.

Have a good night,

Pete