Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - boga grip?
Thread: boga grip?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2000, 09:23 AM

RE:boga grip?

Eddie and Juro,

This is one of my pet peeves (as I have written in the past). Too many people see the fly fishing luminaries use these devices and assume that if Flip Pallot, Lefty Kreh, or Andy Mill use them, then they are okay.

The Boga just promotes the weighing of every fish, and it is just for ego IMO. The jaws are two pieces of metal that are too narrow in cross section for me - so when they come together they concentrate all the weight of the fish on one very small point. We all talk about wanting to properly handle fish to allow them the best chance to survive. So why risk screwing up the jaw musculature of a fish and possibly impair its ability to feed in the future? What did we ever do before the advent of this $115 gadget? My favorite is watching that a**hole Andy Mill have every false albacore, redfish or bonefish weighed on his fishing show - he'd be better off carrying a tape measure as he frequently overestimates the length and has to be corrected by the guide.

As someone once wrote on one of these boards with regard to striper fishing and Boga Grips - Doesn't anyone value a shredded thumb anymore after catching lots of fish - wasn't it a sign of a very good outing, almost like a badge of honor?

Pete