Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - can anyone help?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
What are you including when you say "setup"? Just a rod and reel? You don't need much for a reel, so I'd concentrate on the rod. I've never fought a trout with a reel, always doing it by stripping instead. As for pike and trout with the same rod, it is possible, but not entirely desirable. I think since you're just a beginner, and your focus seems to be trout, you should focus on getting a good trout rod first. If you enjoy fly fishing, and want to really go after pike, then you'll find the money to get a pike rod too later.

I disagree wholeheartedly with Spock, I think you can get an excellent beginner's setup for $200. I'd get a 5 wt 9 ft rod with a moderate to moderately fast action. St Croix has some nice packages for only $130 for a rod and reel. Their next package up is closer to $250 though, so they split your price range. When you get out to Montana, I think the best thing you can do is go to a local shop and tell them you have $200 to spend on a combo and see what they can offer you. St Croix and Redington are both good names in that price range, but there's others.

I just went back to a Cortland 5/6 wt rod that I received as a present from my dad probably at least 12-15 years ago. I bet the rod cost about $100 in today's dollars (if that much) when it was new, so it's nothing very expensive. I'd been using a 4 wt Orvis rod that I think was $400 for all of my freshwater fishing for the last few years, but I wanted something a little longer and heavier for casting a sink tip line and big flies. Well, the cheap old Cortland rod caught two fish in my first two casts on Tuesday night, and I proceeded to hook 4 more fish with it in only about 1.5 hours while the two guys fishing next to me caught nothing. Then I went out yesterday with my $350 Albright with the $350 reel on it and caught only one small fish in almost 3 hours of fishing in the same spot with the same flies in the same exact conditions. What does that tell you? In the end, a more expensive rod isn't necessarily going to catch you more fish. The Cortland is just a joy to cast and always feels comfortable. I think that's the most important thing to consider, so do yourself a favor, go to a fly shop, and buy something that you like casting.