Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Spring Chinook flies ? Anyone ?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Skilly -

I spent a lot of time trying to solve the springer enigma with flies and came to the conclusion the most important factor was the mood of the fish (given that they are in the pool). I caught them on natural, orange and purple bunny rats (see recipe), estaz bodied wet flies with marabou wings (orange/red theme and purple/black theme), tube flies tied in an extended spade style with a marabou tail (sort of squiddy looking), etc.

Some of them came to a fly that was held solid in boily water (no downstream drift) because the fish kept getting pushed toward the surface in the boils so I hung the fly down. The irregular currents danced it around and I watched a mid-20's chinook come up with a boil and eat my fly, will never forget that sight.

In the end, it was not a very consistent pursuit but the few I caught were spectacular. By fall, I took the approach of stopping before and after work for a few casts at the last pool affected by tide in a river near my home. Some days it would be full of fresh chinook and one would rip my arm out of socket on the second cast, hitting a swung fly like a summer steelhead - other days I could not buy a strike while the roe guys cleaned house.

Nothing consistent about them, except the fact that they were very moody. Fall fish seemed a lot easier to hook then springers. My best springer came from the North Fk Lewis. Those were fun days!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum