Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Canoe & Spey??
Thread: Canoe & Spey??
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 05:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The rules of engagement are the same whether on a canoe or on foot, but the angler' "footprint" changes dramatically with the length of the craft.

This angler is in the middle of the canoe's footprint, thus must either use a 25ft rod to reach over his friends or move to either end of the canoe in accordance with the wind.

On foot, a downriver wind causes the caster to use a downriver anchor; and an upriver wind forces an upriver anchor. Likewise, this angler must either take the downriver end in a downriver wind or the upriver end on an upriver wind and place the anchor in the water off to the side.

In a no-wind situation either would work.

Simon Gawesworth demonstrates the application of a snake roll from the end of a canoe in the ISC video.

Overhead casting with the two-hander all things being equal (skill level) lifts the line further away from the other people on board and the casts will reach further requiring less anchor adjustment.

Fighting fish, particularly landing fish is more challenging with a longer rod on board a canoe unless the angler is positioned on the upriver end with the gillie on the other end. Rowing to shore might be a good approach for a large fish.

An Atlantis 1109 might be a good over/under choice from a canoe although I haven't tried it personally that way. I hear that it's a spot-on match with Rio's new Skagit line (7/8w) and can't wait to get mine to see for myself.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum